Extended School Year (ESY) Determination
- ESY must be considered for all students with disabilities. The determination of ESY eligibility must be made by the IEP team by February 28.
- IEP team must consider the factors below:
- Regression: whether the student reverts to a lower level of functioning as a result of an interruption in educational programming.
- Recoupment: whether the student has the capacity to recover skills in which regression occurred to a level demonstrated prior to the interruption of educational programming.
- Whether the student's difficulties with regression and recoupment make it unlikely that the student will maintain the skills relevant to the IEP goals.
- The extent to which a skill is particularly crucial for the student to meet the IEP goals for self-sufficiency and independence from caretaker.
- The extent to which successive interruptions in educational programming result in a student's withdrawal from the learning process.
- Whether the student's disability is severe, such as autism/pervasive developmental, serious emotional disturbance, severe mental retardation, degenerative impairments with mental involvement and severe multiple disabilities.